mamazupset asks:

If I want to challenge a school/district with their attendance/truancy policies where should I go to get the best knowledgeable guidance and results?

This Riverside school is trying to tell me that my 5 yr old child needs to be brought in to see the nurse to be considered 'excused' for an absence.  They are aware that my child suffers from a chronic condition that is often triggered by the commmon cold, therefore he has been absent for more than 10% of the school days.
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with my child's teacher(s), Special needs
> 60 days ago



Mar 20, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Taking your child out of the school might be an option; however, I would consider it a last resort because of the major change it would be for a 5 year old who already has a major challenge due to his health issues and absences.

What you might try first is setting up an appointment with the principal and going in to discuss your child's situation. If you think it would help, get a statement and/or health records from your son's doctor to bring with you. See if you can work something out regarding the policy that will address your son's situation.  If the principal is not receptive to adjusting the requirement that your son go to the nurse to be excused, you can go up the ladder to assistant superintendent, superintendent, or if need be, the school board.  This will require some work, but you have the right to protest this policy and hopefully, the school system will be receptive to your dilemma.

Just a tip. You have a better chance of success if you go in with the facts, and make your points with a calm demeanor. If you go in preparing for a fight, you may go in angry and that may take away from your potential for success. It is best to keep this type of discussion non-emotional, and just based on facts. Try going in calmly to discuss and negotiate and see what you can arrange to best serve the needs of your child.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

GaFlygirl writes:
boy am I glad my schools policy isn't so ridiculous.  they accept our notes from the parents as excused. if I were you.. I'd rip my child out and homeschool. that's what my friend did when she had children with chronic health issues and problems with school regarding it.. You can't go to doc every time you turn around, and sickness isn't truancy. Contact your board of education to file a complaint and see if they will do anything for you. Good luck!
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely