minnesota
minnesota asks:
Q:

Challenging 6th Grade Academic Performance

I teach 6th grade and am having a problem reaching one of my students.  This student is on the autism spectrum and has ADHD.  She is the oldest child in her family and the first in middle school.  My problem is this student's reading comprehension is low.  I am able to differentiate my reading groups, so she is reading text that is appropriate for her level.  I've met with her mother on several occasions and shared what can be done at home to support what we are doing in school (reread, paraphrase text, review comprehension questions, etc.), but there has been no change.  This student has the option of taking the test in a smaller setting, which she does, but she's not asking any clarification questions during the testing.  What advice do you have for me?
In Topics: School and Academics, ADHD & attention issues, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Congratulations on your willingness to teach to all students.  Children on the autism spectrum often have additional learning issues such as ADHD. It may take what you suggested at home with at school untimed testing and repetition of learned material.  Children with ADHD require often one to one help to focus to the task.  Good luck.

0
0

helper13
helper13 writes:
Well why don't you call the mother in and give her a packet of work and little short storys and that childs reading level and say this is homework for your son/daughter and it needs to be completed Like a month or something whatever you think is reasonable for that particular student.Hope this helps!

0
0
Anonymous