roxas
roxas asks:
Q:

are there any chart to prove that video games help teens and children

In Topics: Children and video games, Technology and my child

|

JeanneBrockmyer

At this time, there is no clear evidence that playing typical video games has any benefit beyond the entertainment value.  There is clear evidence that games focused on teaching specific skills are effective. There are also some games that might increase a player's awareness of social issues. There is mounting evidence that exposure to violent media increases the relative risk of being aggressive and becoming desensitized to violence. Children of different ages may be affected differently, we just don't know yet.
Best advice for typical entertainment video games, play in moderation.  

Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Ph. D.
education.com expert clinical child psychologist

1
0

Lisa18967
Lisa18967 writes:
Digital play, when used appropriately, can be a powerful tool for learning skills such as planning, time management, cooperation, creativity, and digital literacy. The book’s clearly articulated strategies help parents use digital media in a more effective manner and, at the same time, set effective limits and implement a healthy “play diet” for their children. A section devoted to exploring specific strategies for using digital media with children in specific populations—such as children affected by ADHD, autism spectrum and learning disorders, and other mental health and educational issues—is also featured, as is a list of specific games, apps, and tools to make game-based learning most effective.
Like most parents, I was concerned about how much time kids were spending playing on their mobile devices and using video games and apps. Truthfully, aside from being entertaining, I thought these games might not be the best use of their time. But, after reading this book I realized that there are valuable lessons that kids can learn through their digital play. This book showed me that games and apps can really help my child develop skills to improve planning, organization, time management, short-term memory and reasoning. They are not just for entertainment. With all the commercials on television and radio about brain-training websites for adults it was great to read about how video games and apps can also help kids. Playing Smarter in a Digital World guided me through the maze of digital media and showed me the benefits of digital play. This book gets 5 stars and is very worthwhile reading for any parent or teacher.

0
0