Q:

Need a different Chicago school for my son who has ADHD and an IEP.

"I have a son who has ADHD and an IEP. The school he goes to does not help him. He is constantly being pulled out from his classroom and sits in front of the school office with no work. The school calls me everyday for things that can be easily resolved. He also gets suspended from school when I know that a child who has an IEP should not be suspended. I need to know what school in Chicago who would accept him for his needs. Please help!"

Asked by Yvette via email.
In Topics: Choosing a school, My Relationship with my child's school, ADHD & attention issues

|

call your congressman.  the former Chicago schools chief is the nation's education leader now.  Have your congressman's office be in touch with Arne Duncan's people.  As a citizen, you are entitled to this.

0
0

baybay85
baybay85 writes:
I do not have an answer, but I am experiencing the EXACT problem with my son. He is in the 5th grade and I am at wits end!!! As a parent, I have tried numerous things. He is on medication, he is enrolled in an outside program. Whereas a specialist comes into the school twice a week to meet with him, but to no prevail. The school in which he attends doesn't even communicate to the teachers that he is ADHD. They aren't made aware until they call me at work or at home. He has an IEP in which, I inquiry about weekly considering none of his special needs are being met. The only response I ever receive is "we are glad that you are active in your son's education, but the calls still come in. Please let me know what school he can go to in Chicago or the surrounding areas. I will live out of my car if I have to pay for him to attend a school that is going to uplift him instead of Belittle him!!!!

0
0
Anonymous