atronado6
atronado6 asks:
Q:

My child is in 1st grade, suffolk county, ny, and was placed in ELS program. How can I remove my child from this not needed program?

ELS removal.
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Learning a second language

|

Dr.Susan

In Suffolk county, the school cannot keep your child in a program without your consent, so just request that he be moved out of this program (demand it if necessary) and the school district will have to take him out.

Good Wishes and Great Parenting,
Dr Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book “The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask”

1
1

MTrejo
MTrejo writes:
I am not familiar with the ELS programs and services in your state.  However, all school districts are required to have procedures for parents who choose to opt of any academic program, classroom, or school.  I suggest you meet with the school principal or director of services of children who need ESL.  You will need to know the consequences of being or not being enrolled in such classes.  Children who are enrolled in ESL are in there because they do not speak academic English well enough to progress in the regular classrooms.  So, you will need to understand the needs of your child and the reasons for why the school personnel decided to place them in the ESL class.

Maria Triejo, Expert Panelist

2
0
This question is lacking information necessary to give you good advice.  To my understanding ELS is an English program to help individuals who are not succeeding in the English language based on age appropriate skills.  The 1st grade is an excellent time to address these matters.  If the school feels that is something that would benefit your child and it does not interfere with classroom activity, why would you be opposed to it?  Give your child every advantage that you can, and a free program to help your child is an advantage that I would want to provide if offered.  Schools don't generally place children in programs that they don't need.  Talk with your child's teacher about your concerns and maybe you'll find that you will want your child in this program.  Best wishes!

1
0
Anonymous