cojeda
cojeda asks:
Q:

My child is about to be 6yrs old and is going half day in preK and half in Kinder. She didn't speak till she was almost 5 and she will not write.

She will not even try to hold the pencil. She can not remember her numbers but she can count to 15 and say her ABC's but she can't even spell a single word. I have been running out of patience and don't know what to do. She has started school this year but she will not even write her name she always wants dots. Can anyone help?
In Topics: Preschool, Learning issues and special needs

|

Ordinarily a child in kindergarten is just emerging with writing skills (See this link: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Kindergarten_Writing/)

However, I am gathering that there may be other developmental milestones that are of concern, therefore, you may wish to consult with the school and ask for a meeting of the special education team to determine if your child is in need of additional support educationally.

Please make all requests in writing as this is a legal process. For more information go to www.nasponline.org (parent tab) for information

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0
Anonymous