Anonymous
Q:

Child acted out at school because of fear.

I received a call from my 8 yr old's (2nd grader) school counselor because on the playground today he shouted "I am going to shoot those kids."  He was questioned by the teacher and stated that he didn't know why he made the comment.  His history at school has always been cooperative and pleasant.  He is a good student (academically within standards), athletic, and is well-liked by many students.  He does not visit the principal's office and shows respect to teachers and other students (although sometimes he wants his own way while playing with other children).
The counselor stated that she will need to "investigate" and administer appropriate punishment.
I questioned my child asking "why" he made the comment.  He stated that he was afraid that a stranger was going to come into the school and shoot the kids.  He said that he didn't mean to say it.
I need some advice regarding the growth and development age and defense/coping mechanism used?  Is his comment serious?  How do I get the school to address the appropriate stage of growth and development without diminishing my child's desire to perform, please, and receive recognition?
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, School safety (not bullying)

|