deborah2002
deborah2002 asks:
Q:

My child with adhd at homework time struggles with getting homework done.

i as the childs mom dont know what i can do to help  him , he does take med
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, ADHD & attention issues

|

Many of the medications used for ADD or ADHD wear off by afternoon.  Ask your pediatrician if she can prescribe one that goes longer.  another option is to is a short acting medication in the afternoon that will only last three to four hours to get through homework and after school activities without interrupting sleep habits.

All children with ADD need work on organization skills. we call them "executive skills" Be sure he is ready, prepared, fed or snacked, and has a play break, then go to homework.

0
0

Sarpax
Sarpax writes:
Why doesn't he take medication?  It may help.  If you don't want him to take medication you can try a hollistic aproach to his ADHD.  I personally haven't tried that approach, but, have heard it can work.  It's a lot of work though:  chemical free cleansers, chemical free food, etc.  I have a chat forum (support group) for parents of special needs children and ADHD is one of the topics I talk about.  It's a new support group, but, you're welcome to check it out and see if it's any help for you.  www.snparentalsupport.proboards.com

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
Novelty is one of the keys for maintaining attention.  Try placing a colored placemat under his study pages to draw his attention to them.  Allow him to do his work standing up, sitting on the floor, sitting on a large ball (except for writing!).  Reading can be done while on his stomach on the floor.  Wrap the front legs of his chair with a band of exercise band (can get a Target).  He can put his legs behind the band and push against the band to help him focus better.  Think deep pressure (exercise band, chair push ups), sucking (straws, hard candy), and chewing (gum, jerky) for helping with attention.

0
0