toria asks:

How would you get a child assessed for Aspergers?

my mate has been having a bit off a hard time lately and feels like no one seems to be helping or even listen to her ,her son is 6 years old but mentally a year behind and he is showing some kinda behavioural problem she has noticed a problem since he was young and only when he went to school has there been comments about it but no one is moving fast enough he now is getting violent out burst what should she do ?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome
> 60 days ago



Oct 10, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Could you please give us some information about where you live (Canada perhaps or England?)  Also, see this question which answered a similar question.  There are many links for parent support in the answer below, too.

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Nationally Certified School Psychologist

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

hlevitan , Teacher writes:

Thank you for writing to asking for help concerning testing for Asperger Syndrome.  I am sorry to hear that the six year old boy is showing signs of a behavioral problem.  It is also unfortunate to hear that the school is taking a while to test him.  The child’s guardian(s) can help speed up the process of testing by requesting an evaluation and by knowing their legal rights under IDEA, The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.  

Asperger Syndrome is on the low end of the Autism Spectrum Disorder.  Assessments are conducted by school psychologists, and the results are discussed by Individualized Education Planning Teams.  Here is an article from the Autism Society that tells each step of how to get a child tested, “Autism, Education and Evaluation”:

Has the boys’ guardian or teacher requested an initial evaluation?  An initial evaluation can be requested by either the parent of a child, or the school. (Section 1414(a)(1)(B). Such initial evaluation must take place within 60 days of receiving parental consent for the evaluation. (Section 1414(a)(1)(C)(i). IDEA provides safeguards designed to protect the rights of special education students and their parents, including the right to participate in all meetings, to examine all educational records, and to obtain an independent educational evaluation of the child. (Section 1415(b)(1)).
We at are not equipped to provide individualized legal advice.  If the school continues to delay the testing process you may want to seek outside help.  There are attorneys who specialize in representing children with special needs.  To obtain a referral for a special education attorney in your area look up the Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA) on the internet at

You can also seek an evaluation from a school psychologist outside of the school.  

I hope you find this information helpful, and the boy gets the help he needs in a timely manner.  Feel free to write back with more questions as the process continues.

Best wishes,

> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely