Joannapayne
Joannapayne asks:
Q:

What to do about child being attacked at pre school

My 3 year was attacted by two 4 years at pre school he has two back eyes and scratches and bruises on face and bruise on ear I have had serious words with the teachers who were supposed to be looking after my child and they assure me it won't happen again but I feel I need to do something what can I do
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Bullying and teasing

|

Dear Joanna,

Thank you for contacting Education.com.

We are so sorry to hear that your son had to go through this traumatic event at his preschool. It is disturbing that the supervision of the children was lacking to the point where this happened in the first place. It is important for children this age to be well supervised at all times. The adult to child ratio should not be too high. You may want to inquire about the licensing standards for your state. If you feel your son's preschool is not addressing the situation with the children and parents, and is not providing a safe and caring atmosphere for your son, please consider changing schools.

Your son's emotional and physical well-being is top priority. It's possible that your son may have anxiety and fear about going to school, but then again it's also possible that he may not. Allow him to express his feelings but understand that at his age he may not be able to verbalize his feelings. If you notice changes in his behaviors such as feeling more afraid or angry, encourage him to try to use his words or punch a pillow or kick a ball, but not to hurt anyone or himself. Continue to provide a nurturing a loving environment for your son. Your unconditional love will get him through this.

There are some very good books to teach preschool children about bullying and how to treat others with respect. You can go to our website: www.boystownpress.org and search our catalog for some ideas. One which comes to mind is: "Hands Are Not For Hitting" by Martine Agassi Ph.D. and Marieka Heinlen. You may be able to find it at your local library or bookstore.

If you would like to speak with a counselor about this in more detail, we are here 24/7 to listen and to support parents. You can either call on our toll-free Hotline or e-mail us. Our contact information is listed below.

Take care and best wishes to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

2
0
rkaiulani

Best Answer!

Hi Joanna,
This sounds like a very scary incident, and I'm happy you feel motivated to find solutions to your questions. During the younger years, when it's hard to tell the difference between normal social experimentation and emergent bullying behavior. Concerned parents of preschoolers who are being bullied include voicing your concerns, making visits to the school, and giving your youngster the tools he needs to avoid bullying for years to come. Check out this very relevant and informative article on Bullying in Preschool:
1
0

Joannapayne
Joannapayne writes:
Thank you for your advise and support . I had a meeting with the school who didn't seem to be taking this seriously so I made a formal complaint showed them pics of his injuries I have also contacted senco and ofsted as I think this is a discrace they were there to protect him and they have failed him he is hardly eating and having nightmare it'd very upsetting and will not rest until someone is held accountible

0
0