mom.2
mom.2 asks:
Q:

My child attended kindergarten for a few months, we had to move and we want to start him in kindergarten again this upcoming school year, legal?

My 5-year-old attended kindergarten for a few months before we had to relocate.  He was the youngest in his class and missed so many days, we want to start kindergarten over this upcoming school year.  Is this legal?
In Topics: Back to school, Kindergarten readiness

|

MTrejo

First, please know that Kindergarten is not required in the state of California and in many states.  It is recommended and many families choose to enroll their children.  Second, as a parent you have the flexibility to retain your child in Kindergarten if you have legitimate reasons.  For example, some children are not mature enough at the end of Kindergarten and either the teacher or parent determine that the child would benefit from staying in Kindergarten an additional year. So, you can go ahead and try to re enroll your child right now or you can elect to wait until next semester or next year.  Once you decide, you will need to consult with your neighborhood school to see if there is room available and check their policies about midyear or yearly enrollments.

1
0

jdrian19
jdrian19 writes:
Yes, this is legal. Each state mandates different rules and such, but I know in the state of New Mexico that the parent can choose to hold a student back for lack of progress or maturity. Especially if your student missed a lot, they are probably not ready to move on. I personally teach First grade, and it is a HUGE dynamic difference from Kindergarten. This is something you need to discuss with your child's teacher (if he is still in school). Chances are, if you have this much concern, the teacher that he has probably is in agreeance. I would talk with his school district's principal if you can't get anywhere with a teacher. If a parent expresses concern to me that their student may not be ready, I definately talk with them and take this into consideration and take the next steps to work with the parent and alleviate these fears or solve the problem. Hope this helped.

0
0
Relle
Relle , Student writes:
Yes, this is legal.

0
1