shopgirl11
shopgirl11 asks:
Q:

Will my child have autism?

I have a 12 year old stepson that has autism. My husband believe this to be a result of his mother drinking and doing drugs throughout her pregnany. He said she would drink hard liquor and she would get drunk and would smoke pot.   My husband feared for the baby when she was doing this but she would not stop. When my stepson was born his mother would just leave him in his crib. She would not take him out and work with him. My question is will my child have autism? My husband and I really want to have a child my biggest fear is having another autistic child. My stepson is very high functioning the only problem he really has is with his speech. He was diagnosed as having aspergers many years ago. There does not seem to be any cases of this on either his mothers side or his fathers side. His mother is not even in his life because she was not responsible enough to carry a child nor raise him.
I know that all parents take risks when trying to have a child. It really is a genetic lotto. Do you have any insight that may comfort me somewhat and not stress me out if we do get pregnant? Is there really anything we can do to make sure our child is healthy besides eating healthy, sleeping and getting a moderate amount of exercise?

Please help I am so lost and very very sad.
In Topics: Cognitive development, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

I can tell by your letter that you have a number of concerns as to whether or not you are at risk for having a child with autism due to a family history.

First, there are numerous resources that may be able to help you with the genetic concerns you have and also give you a forum to ask this question directly to parents who have a child with autism and then wanted other children to add to their family.  These resources are listed below.

Also, you may wish to consult with a genetic counselor who can guide you in making informed choices.  Your family physician or insurance carrier may be able to steer you in the right direction to a qualified counselor.

Louise Masin Sattler

1
0

cortiz
cortiz writes:
Hello Shopgirl - I am also married to a man who has a son from a previous relationship & has autism.  Although my stepson is pretty self dependant and very functional, i remember still worring about the probrability of our children being born (or developing) autism.  Anyhow, I became pregnant last year and worried the first few months of my pregnancy on wether or not the baby would be born "normal".   After the fifth month of so I gave up on worring about it and decided to embrace my pregancy and enjoy everything about it.   My daughter was born a few months ago and so far she does not display any signs of being autistic.  I do catch myself testing her.. Making sure she looks into my eyes, shows signs of interaction, etc.   I have gone as far as asking the Dr. to spread out the number of vacinaccions given at each visit and monitor her behaviour upon each visit.  All things that help ME find comfort in dealing with my position.  We never really know what awaits us - all we can do is take a chance and hope for the best...  This is exactly what I have done and I dont regret it. Good Luck w/your decision. I wish you the best! :)

1
0
shopgirl11
shopgirl11 writes:
Cortiz,

Thank you so much for the answer I really appreciate it. It sounds like we were both in the same boat at one point and time. I to have really thought about all the things that could happen just as I think any parent does throughout the pregnancy. I guess all we can really do is pray and hope that we have a healthy baby. I have always wanted to be a mother and for something like this to stop me is crazy. I know I will do my best to make the right decisions while carry my child unlike my stepsons mother did. This has got to increase the chance that I will have a healthy child. I know there are still some risks but what is life if we would not take them. Thanks so much i really did take comfort in your answer. How did your son react to having a new sibling? Was he okay with this?

0
0
priyankamodi
priyankamodi writes:
I fear just like you. I see a severely autistic child of my cousin and it freaks me out. I hear of stories about parent's whose lives are completely ruined because of this. At times, I decide on not having babies at all. Do you know any statics of to this happens to? Age? etc? My cousin's wife was only 30 when she delivered autistic baby and I know few others who were young too

0
0
Anonymous