Sam2clay
Sam2clay asks:
Q:

Hello, I need help with  a child whom I believe is autistic, during Sunday school.

I am a Sunday school/children's church teacher that has not had proper training dealing with special needs. Our church has a large, wealthy congregation that focuses on children as our future. However, bringing this too much attention will seem unprofessional and possibly rude. We have a family that attends very regularly. There are three children: ages 8, 4, and 3. The parents are not originally from here and I'm not really sure where they're from, but that is because I've found it difficult to communicate with them. I think they are not comfortable with using English... or they are ashamed. All three of these children seem to have special needs. The oldest has seemed to grow and is one of our best students and reads his bible regularly. He still uses a "sing song" voice but he is much calmer. The younger child didn't use many words or sounds until around 2 1/2. Now, she seems to be doing a lot better. My concern is the middle child. She enjoyed being confined/seperated at an early age but we were realizing she seemed to have a need for participating and when we started this, she improved. Now it seems she is reverting. A cup in her hand and assisting with snack used to be key. Now all she wants is daddy and all she says is nooooo and will not participate. We desperately want to see the improvement keep rising and I'm afraid to seperate her too much from the routine she got used to but is now slamming down. She has began to make her father chase her down every Sunday. Help!!
In Topics: School and Academics, Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Nsaa4kids
Nsaa4kids writes:
Speak with the parents to find out the language spoken at home. Then ask to meet with them with someone that speaks thier language. At the meeting make sure you speak of what the three children have advanced in then speak about your concerns

1
0
Anonymous