Anonymous
Q:

My child is bullied in priv. Cath. schl. The princ. denies bully probs. School does not follow own policies/proc. Cath.Arch tells me I must id schl.

Occurring for almost 2 yrs. When approach princ., retaliation occurs to my child. Un-Christian behavior demonstrated by teachers. Very afraid for our kids safety, public school not very good. Spouse won't let me home school. Other parents are too afraid to confront princ./teachers due to retaliation.

|

I am sorry to hear of the abuse that is occuring within your son's private Catholic school.  Bullying and retaliation for reporting abuse by other students should have clear consequences. Period.

Although you report that the public schools aren't very good, I would encourage you to explore the options available to your son for completing his education.  If you son is being bullied and there is no protection offered by the school staff and administration it is hard to believe that he is gaining much academically.  

A child will do best in a setting where he or she feels safe.  Even if the academic curriculum at the public school is inferior to what is being offered at your current school your son could benefit from the support and encouragement he receives in a new environment.  You could supplement his schooling with online courses or community college courses if you feel that he isn't being challenged.

If you would feel that it would help to talk with a counselor, please don't hesitate to contact the Boys Town National Hotline at 1-800-448-3000.  Trained professionals are available to talk with you about parenting and family issues.  I would also encourage you to make your son aware of our telephone number.  Counselors are here to talk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Providing your son with a tool to help himself will allow his to feel supported and also help him to gain confidence in his own abilities.  

1-800-448-3000

2
0

Sorry to hear about your situation -- every school, public or private, needs to take bullying seriously and respond to related concerns from students and parents.

Here's an article from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that outlines how parents can most effectively work with their child's school to address this issue:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/talk-educators-about-bullying/

Here is another article for school staff, to help them understand and identify bullying:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/identify-understand-effects-bullying/

Consider sharing both of these articles with your child's teacher and the school principal -- if necessary, you could do so anonymously (by mail).

If you haven't already, I would also recommend that you visit Education.com's Special Edition on Bullying here:
http://www.education.com/topic/school-bullying-teasing/

There was also a recent free webinar on this topic, with bullying expert Shelley Hymel PhD, that you can access here:
http://www.education.com/special-edition/bullying/web-seminar-archive/

I hope these resources above are helpful, and I wish you the best in resolving this very serious issue.

2
0
This poses an interesting challenge to the community. What you do have on your side is God. Sometimes Christian schools lose focus God and what He would want for the school. As a former private school teacher, I would like to say that most of the times parents have a little more edge than they believe. I would form some support group within the school. Have a parents meeting and then confront the administration! You pay good money to have your children educated and bullies should be tightly under control. I wish you well :)

2
0