Melissa1
Melissa1 asks:
Q:

Is it likely that my child who has been diagnosed with adhd and aspergers also could suffer from bipolar disorder?

Hi - I need help please!! My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with adhd 2 years ago following concentration problems and extreme impulsive behaviour. (she scored a moderate score for diagnosis on the Conners rating scale). She has been taking Concerta XL 36mg following continuing social and communication problems she was then diagnosed with aspergers. Her mood swings have swung from extreme highs to lows during this period but never for lengthy periods. 3 weeks ago she became very depressed (expressing suicidal thoughts) and has now been prescribed Prozac by our GP. Her school are extremely concerned about her mood swings and have warned that they may have to exclude her on mental health issues. They have noted her mood swings go from extreme depression to what they have described as euphoria in a matter of minutes. Is it possible that she may have bipolar disorder as well as adhd? and should she be taking Prozac if she possibly has bipolar? i am waiting for an apt with her paediatrician but this is frustrating taking time
Many thanks in anticipation for your help.
In Topics: Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|
carat77
carat77 writes:
My son was diagnosed with ADHD at 2 years old.  I didn't start the medication routine until he was in the 1st grade.  He is now 10, and you have described my son to a "T"!  He however took Concerta and he got worse, he tried to strangle himself last year and was admitted to an inpatient facility.  They discovered that he is BiPolar, and we now are doing fabulous!  Don't let this scare you, a lot of children are misdiagnosed as being ADHD.  Aspergers and BiPolar Disorder run hand in hand, have you taken her to a psychiatrist? A general prac. or a pediatrician can diagnose, but she really need to see a Psychiatrist ASAP!!!!!  Lexapro, and Abilify have worked wonders for my son, you should check into it.  It calmed his anxiety and mood swing to where life is in a sence "normal" now. Good Luck!

1
0
ashita21
ashita21 , Student writes:
children with aspergers often seem to show mood swings. since there is a communication disorder, it can cause a lot of frustration.
also, it has been seen that medications may have an effect on mood, so u need to check out if that medication could have that kind of effect.
u definately need to take her for that paediatrician apt, he/she would be able to guide u best.
in the mean time, try talking to her and get her to say wats on her mind, there mite just be something bothering her.

0
0
russianfood
russianfood writes:
I would suggest y ou change your therapy.  Seeing a christian who has a true heart for God in the feild is crucial to your childs development..   And progression.   Medicine can help,  yet you should be aiming towards a way to back off on it and eventually completely some day, and hope for this improving ,  in attitude..    I recommend this, because I know there are many causes to attention disorders .   I leave up to you to take this advice.. Just please be open to doing , and not only talkn.  This is so sad.  And be prepared to find out things about yourself and both parents as to how your help for you , in things can be essential to your child growing up strong..    Denial can keep good things from happening which robs peace, the choice is ares in life we have to make it .
  stephen arteburn . I think how to spell has good advice on such , new life ministries also.  If your not believer in God..I challenge you to check this out , you will be suprised on the good results.     I knew a person not doing anything about bipolar and it destroyed realationships for her.  Enough said.

0
1