donny123
donny123 asks:
Q:

How can I get my child to eat more?

my child eats nearly nothing, no vegatables, no fruit. what little he does eat is pasta and bread.  yet he is healthy.  he loves sweets. it is a battle to keep anything sweet from him.  dicussed with doctor several times, advice is to fix what we want him to eat, if he gets hungry enough he will eat.  
he has tons of energy and growing fine. he has been sick some with normal things such as strep throat and colds.  will he ever start eating?
In Topics: My picky eater

|

mheyman

Especially younger children will go thru food jags -- they'll focus on a couple of foods, eat those, and nothing else.  
Offering a food to a child multiple times often leads to the child eventually trying it and mostly accepting it.  Serving multiple foods on a plate and leading by example, enjoying the food without making a big issue (don't push it), often helps.  One technique that has been used successfully is to ask (even reward) your child to eat five colors per day;  that helps lead to dietary diversity!
EVentually almost all of these children outgrow these diets, some at older ages.  But be reassured that if offered variety, the kids DO indeed get the nutrition they need.

0
0

monsterzuki
monsterzuki writes:
We ran into the same problem with our little boy only it was with hotdogs and sweets. Nothing but cold hotdogs . Our dr. told us he would grow out of it. I didnt like this answer . so What I did was to no longer bring  the stuff into the house and told grand parents not to buy them.  The whole breaking sweets and junk food is hard (more for the husband then the kid) Just dont keep any of it in the house.  Now when my son he has a really big heart and you can use this to get him to do something. Even after we took the hotdogs and sweets out he would still fight with eating pasta and noodles. So I sat down and had a talk with him and told him hes lucky he has food to eat and that some kids dont.  and I just want him to tray it andafter 5 good size bites if he still didnt like it we could do something different. For him it work . Hope it helps you with your little one.

2
0
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:
Consider the advice of Dr. Brazelton who believes in "grazing" with young children.  Thus, place many foods out during the day and have the child eat as they go.  Some kids are too busy to stop and eat.  Also, if presented fun ( like safe Fruit Kabobs) or trail mix with raisins and cereals, etc... then they are more likely to eat them.

2
0
shradha.agr
shradha.agr writes:
You can make eating interesting so that your child could start eating for fruits you can make fruit juice ,if he can eat biscuit then it is also very good,it will give him more energy.

1
0
ginaa
ginaa , Teacher writes:
Hi donny123,

I hear your frustration and it's great that you're reaching out for advice. As parents we're very conscious of what our kids eat and we're always trying to make sure they get a healthy balanced diet. But when the child has very firm likes and dislikes, this can turn every meal into situation fraught with tension and anxiety.

Here's the good news - you're not alone! There are a lot of parents out there with the same kind of concern. While there is no quick fix to the problem, there are some things you can do work some nutritious ingredients into meals without completely overriding your child's wishes.

The articles below describe simple tips like getting children involved in the cooking process, making sure that the child's preferred foods are a part of the meal (but not the only component of the meal), and avoiding criticism and focusing on positive behavior. The last article discusses studies that show that parents who eat a healthy and varied diet can act as role models to encourage kids to try new foods.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Links:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_How_Should_I_Deal/
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Handling_Choosy/
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Parents_Who_Focus/

1
0
CreativeRachna
CreativeRac... , Child Professional, Teacher writes:
You are already making the first step by being such a concerned parent.  Feeding a child is difficult enough without worrying about him not getting the right nutrients.  Some children are simply picky eaters and others have certain preferences.  Making your child eat a balanced meal is hard but there are steps you can take to aide in this process.  Education.com has some great articles about being firm with a picky eater.  
http://www.education.com/topic/picky-eater-help/

Good Luck,
Rachna

0
0