Danielle
Danielle , Parent asks:
Q:

Anyone else with a child entering kindergarten in the Fall?

Wondering if anyone out there has a child about to enter kindergarten. Especially a boy. Is your son starting to read? Curious to compare notes on kindergarten readiness. I'm getting a little nervous, with registration coming up next month...
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi Danielle,

My youngest son will start K next fall and my oldest is currently in 1st grade.  

I'd say just relax.  I was worried too when my oldest started but I quickly learned that there's a very wide range of skills that kids come to Kindergarten with.  In my son's class there were kids who were already reading, kids who couldn't identify their letters yet, and everything in between.

There's also a lot of variation in the kids' social skills, "math" skills, etc.  It seems like they all have some strengths and they obviously ALL have lots to learn!  

If you're really concerned, I'd chat with his preschool teacher to get her take on how ready he is and whether or not you need to do some work with him before he gets started next fall.

Good Luck!

1
0
richardson66510
richardson6... writes:
My little granddaughter will be starting Kindergarten. She shows an interest in reading but hasn't started to yet. Her older sister will be in 1st grade. They've had alot of trauma in their short lives. They lost their baby brother, Korbin to SIDS. Parents divorced. Mom is recovering NA & AA. They live with me & papa now. We're trying to "catch up" with what they've missed in their education. I'm concerned more about their emotional readiness to be honest. Very tender spirits.
Also, my son, was in 1st grade before reading clicked for him. I was very concerned and one day it just clicked! Don't worry, your son will be fine. Good luck & enjoy his new world of education!
Mary Ann :)

0
0
tinkerbug
tinkerbug writes:
I do have a daughter about to go to kindergarten. She is not exactly reading so much as learning to spell and really practicing what sound each letter makes. She can write her name pretty well. I'm sure there is nothing for you to be nervous about.I'm sure your son will do fine once he gets used to the big boy school environment!

0
0