She_herself
She_herself asks:
Q:

My child is best friends with the school bully.

My six year old daughter started full time school this year and has had her first experience with a bully. This other girl is very loud, bossy and aggressive and had my own child on her radar since the very first day.

After thinking about it and noticing that perhaps this other girl is acting out because she is overweight and not accepted by the other children I encouraged my daughter to befriend her. Well she did and now the two have become quite good friends.

Now I find that the other children are beginning to alienate my own and I cant help but wonder if maybe she is considered guilty by association. She tells me that her friend is rather mean to the other children and since she has no other friends she has taken to following around my daughter (Insisting on sitting beside her and partnering up with her, ect.). My own child is very social and passive and wants nothing more then to be friends with everyone.

What advice should I give now?

|

anninnc
anninnc writes:
We are having the same problem with my almost 5 yr old son. He has some new friends and one of the boys can be a bully to new or younger children (siblings). My son was the target when the bully first met him. Now that he is not new, I've watched the child move on to other children. My son really likes some of the other children in the group so we've talked about bullying and why it is wrong. The next time my son played with this child and he saw him bully a younger child my son told him it wasn't okay to be mean. That kind of changed the way the other little boy was acting. I try to limit my son's interaction with this child. It's odd the mother seems really nice and so together. They have a new baby so this could be where it's all coming from. I would talk to your own child about appropriate behavior and tell her that it's okay to tell the other child that she doesn't like her behavior. I would also mention this to your child's teacher because there may be some things she can do in class to limit the girl's ability to bully and perhaps make her parents aware during a parent/teacher conference.

0
0