cutiegirl42
cutiegirl42 asks:
Q:

What should I do when my child is having friendship problems at school?

My daughter is having trouble with her relationship with other girls at school. She always comes home upset about a friend saying she doesn't like her anymore. I want her to have more friends, but I don't know what to say to her. What should I do?
In Topics: School and Academics, Friendships and peer relationships

|

Girls aren't always very nice and friendships can run hot and cold quickly.  So the one friend your daughter says doesn't like her any more could end up being for just a short time.  The main thing is that your daughter feels safe coming home and talking to you.  That's important so keep the lines of communication open.  Talk to her about why she thinks this girl doesn't like her any more.  Did she say something to her or about her?  Did the girl say or do something to your daughter?  Also ask her if there are other girls in her class or grade that she would like to become friends with.  Here are two suggestions that might work.

Education.com has some great resources and information about friendships.  Start here - http://www.education.com/topic/social-development-friendship/

Have your daughter invite a friend or two over for an afternoon or sleepover.  Have some type of craft for them to make such as tie-dying T-shirts, beading a necklace or earrings, decorating flip flops, etc.  Then when the girls wear or use what they made, they will feel connected to your daughter.  Here is a site for more craft ideas. http://www.makingfriends.com/teen_crafts.htm

Encourage your daughter to join a club, team, or group that she might be interested in.  For example, if she likes to read, then she could join or start a book club.  (Check your local library for a group.)  If she likes to swim, she could join a local swim team.  If she likes animals, she could join a group that helps them - maybe even volunteering at a shelter.  Religious organizations often have youth groups, too.

You can be a role model for her.  Show her how you make friends and then talk about what you did.  Also talk to her about how you keep friends.  

I'm sure your daughter will be fine, especially if you are by her side supporting her.

0
0