carolcristy
carolcristy asks:
Q:

What can I do to get my child to do her homework, study & organize her notes & books?

I have a 13 year old that is very bright but she doesn't like to do homework or study. She is also very unorganized & won't let me help her get organized. Last year she always told me that she did the homework or that she didn't get any. She had a problem keeping up with her math last year. She is starting a new & challenging school this year & I am worried about her doing the work & keeping up with the challenging work. She doesn't like me to look in her school bag or her work. She gets nasty with me. What can I do to try to get her to understand that I need to do these things.
In Topics: Back to school, Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!)

|

Hi carolcristy,

Thanks for using JustAsk!

I find that in my daily life, it can be very difficult to channel my focus to complete tasks (like studying) when I'm feeling disorganized. So, I think it's great that you are aware of and focusing on her organization and time management skills as a major priority. Those issues are at the heart of her academic success.

However, if your daughter isn't feeling the need to get or stay organized, tough love might be the next step. The bottom line is that you are the parent - and she's still young enough that you are in control of her privileges and consequences. Watching TV, talking on the phone, visiting friends' houses - these are all privileges that can be taken away, and you can do that at any time. It won't always be easy, but it might be necessary.

Additionally, there are a few other ways to make homework and study time more effective. Make sure that she's doing her homework in a well-lit environment that's free of distractions like TV, music, and computers. If she needs the computer for her homework, try temporarily disabling the Internet (or forbidding her to go online) until she's finished.

Help her develop a schedule, as well as a set of goals, that's realistic for her. If her grades are suffering right now, it's not fair to expect her to get straight A's within the month. But, with an after-school schedule and a set of short and long term goals, she'll be able to make leaps and bounds academically - sooner rather than later.

I'm attaching a couple articles that may also contain some helpful information. The first focuses on getting your child motivated, and the second focuses on organization.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

2
0