Ecarmont asks:

My child has been left behind in 1st and 2nd grade. Now they want to just pass him because of his age?

In Topics: Learning issues and special needs
> 60 days ago



Sep 9, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Please consider asking for a formal evaluation of your child's cognitive and academic skills. Only after a full assessment will a team of experts and you be able to piece together why your child is having such difficulties in school.  

Then armed with much more information regarding his strengths and weaknesses this will enable all of you to make the best decisions for your son.  

Please make sure that any such requests should be dated in writing.

Good luck!

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Nationally Certified School Psychologist
Owner of Signing Families
HerInsight Media Radio Host
Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

JeanneBrock... writes:
It's great you are seeking information. The school is obligated to do an evaluation and develop a specialized educational plan if your child is having trouble learning.  Go to the principal and ask about this. There should be a school psychologist who works with your school who could also help. See the web site below for information on your rights and your child's rights.
Good luck!

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely