Knaup
Knaup asks:
Q:

how do i help my child do new math multiplication?

In Topics: Helping my child with math

|
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Knaup....

I just recently learned to do the new math multiplication with my second grader.  It's an easy way to do and understand multiplication.  It's called the array multiplication.

For example, if asked what is 3 x 4 =

Students would draw/write the following array -

* * * *
* * * *
* * * *

And then they count up all the dots to get the answer.  

As you can see, in the problem 3 x 4 =  , the first number in the problem is the number of rows and the second number is the number of column.  Some teachers may teach the position of the numbers differently but this is how my son was taught.

Below are some worksheets that build on the skills of this array multiplication method that your child can practice.

Vicki

1
0
cici14
cici14 writes:
i would buy flash cards or tell him or her 2 draw it out like this 2 times 4,4 plus 4 equals 8

1
0
EducationWorks Academy
EducationWo... , Child Professional, Teacher writes:
Helping your child with a new math skill will take understanding on your part. It is not a bad idea to ask the teacher for more of an explanation. If it is something foreign to your understanding, asking the source is the first rule of thumb. Teachers understand that some parents do not possess the expertise. It really isn't anything to be ashamed of. Teachers love when a parent is involved and wants to help. Try the below Math website I provided. It has interactive lessons to explain the different skills..grade wise. Let me know if this has been helpful.

0
0
MarshellaSmith
MarshellaSm... writes:
Children need their own space so that they can explore their talent and creativity. We, the parents should always stand beside to help those learning different things. We should teach them different subjects in different innovative ways so that they love to learn them. We should let them understand that homework is the most important part of education and without proper education they can’t be succeeded in their life. Parents, especially mother is the best teacher in a child’s life. The way, she can guide a child, no other can! However, sometimes, it becomes hard for the parents to help children doing homework. In that case, they can take advantage of online tutoring services like tutorteddy.com.

0
0
cracked
cracked writes:
well sit down with him and help them with it or if you don't know your math well find some one to do it with him like a teacher after school

0
0