Nuyorican13
Nuyorican13 asks:
Q:

How can I help my child overcome issues from being bullied for years?

My son has been bullied seen 1st grade..he is deslexic and when he could not read that was the first oppurtunity for kids to outcast him.
Immediately he became the quiet kid tryin not to be noticed.
As a result he is 15 yrs old and only plays with younger kids who dont intimidate him.
He is failing in school...hates to go..and has major problems with rules..
Although I'm the only person that knows how smart he is...he doesn't do the school work to prove it.
He is a sensitive and loving kid and it hurts me to see that his lack of communication skills will hinder
his growth in society.
Took him to a therapist but they only see a depresed kid.  How can I get my bubblie son back.
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Bullying and teasing

|

I am sorry to hear about what your son has gone through, and as a parent I am sure that you feel sometimes that you are living through it with him.  
There are several things that you may want to consider.  First of all, it could be that your son is indeed suffering from depression as a result of his past experiences.  You may find out that the right counselor can provide him support and help that he needs to work through his feelings and self esteem issues.  
Secondly, your encouragement will be a huge asset in helping him to feel better about himself.  Positive messages such as pointing out his strengths and your unconditional support can go a long way in helping him as well.  Let your home be the place he can relax and enjoy himself.  
Another thing you may want to think about is if there is anyone close to his age that you think he might enjoy spending time with.  If you can come up with someone that you and your son would be comfortable with, you may want to initiate some activity that they could do together like taking them to a movie or out to eat.  
The last thing to consider is to try to help him find activities that he enjoys. These activities can lead him to feeling a sense of pride in himself and can result in having common interests with others.  Just remember that some kids are happy to have one friend, while others need to have a large social circle.
I hope that you can come to a point where you are comfortable with your son€™s socialization with other kids.  It is wonderful that you are concerned and want to help him achieve success, he€™s lucky to have you!

Boys Town National Hotline an Education.com partner
€“ 1-800-448-3000 / www.boystown.org

0
0

KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
You are not alone. Your problem affects thousands of school age children each year. There is help out there. This is one of the best resources I have found that has shown kids have made positive changes because of listening to its content. Take a look and let me know what you think. I feel it is very worth the cost. http://thewisdompages.com/audiocd.html
This too will pass!

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

0
0