amiec
amiec asks:
Q:

Does my child need preschool?

My daughter, an only child, will be 4 in April. My husband and I disagree on preschool. I feel she needs to go for socialization and to learn to sit and listen in a classroom setting before kindergarten. Our district does not offer preschool, so we would have to pay for it. Also, our district only offers all day kindergarten. She can write her name, she knows her address, colors, shapes,letters, can count to 20 in English, 10 in Spanish, she is starting to read and can follow simple directions on sample worksheets. My main concern is that if we don't allow her to go to preschool, she will not be able to handle being in kindergarten all day. He feels that when she's supposed to go to school she will. Is she supposed to go to preschool?
In Topics: School and Academics, Preschool, Parenting / Our Family

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I can tell by your question that you are both conflicted as well as between the proverbially "Rock and Hard Place" as your husband and you do not agree on this matter.

Preschool is often considered the stepping stone to formal education. Children often learn many readiness skills, including socializing with others. Going to preschool a few days a week also helps to transition from being at home full time to a full day kindergarten (or even a half day).

However, there are many children who are very successful in formal education settings, such as kindergarten, that never have spent a day in a preschool.  Many times parents seek other ways for a child to socialize such as a Parks and Recreation program (e.g. dance lessons, art, etc.), summer camp or formal play dates.  Some parents will go on tours of museums or to library story hours to have a child learn social rules about being in a public setting and listening for periods of time quietly. And lastly, some parents opt for religious schools to help ease a child into the rigors of formal education and provide a socialization experience. (Such as with Sunday School).

Most importantly, your child has two parents and only the two of you together can make a decision that is best for your family. You may find that a two or three morning preschool experience is a good compromise.  

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

0
1

creatorofgoogle
creatorofgo... writes:
Preschool is needed for children to learn sociably and mentally. For example, when they get to class, they will learn to share and respect others. They will talk to others and will make friends. Kids around the ages of 4 should go to preschool because they need to grow up. Kids will soon go to school anyways so why don't you start early. Let them have an experience of going to school so when they get to kindergarten they will be prepared and ready to learn and ready to make new friends. So, as a mother, I strongly suggest that you let your daughter go to preschool

2
4
pnance
pnance writes:
Please run to a preschool!  Your child will need the interaction in a with other children as well as the classroom environment.  From this day forward you need to realize that she will be competing in life with children who have had this experience.  I feel someone is putting an emphasis on "paying for it."  You pay now or you will pay later.

0
0
mykidtownfl
mykidtownfl writes:
Well, as per my view you should send her to preschool. Even my 4 year old son going to preschool. Preschool is the best place where kids learns with fun.

0
0
Anonymous