sakmom
sakmom asks:
Q:

my child is sharp & talks intelligently for his 7 yrs of age. but somehow he's not doing well in studies. he forgets easily despite repititive learnin

hi, my child is 7 yrs in age, he's very sharp and intelligent in every thing except studies.actually due to his date of birth he is the youngest in his class, infact boys of his age are in a smaller class than him. he's not all interested in his studies. forgets everything despite making him study and practice dictation repititively. his handwriting is very bad, illegible infact. i make him study for 2-3 hrs everyday and fr longer hrs wen exams are approaching. but still his results fall in the 50-60%. he always gets B or C. my child has started feeling depressed as he himself realises that he's putting in a lot of effort but doest'nt get result. i dont know what to do? pls help.
In Topics: Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!)

|
Amyc14
Amyc14 writes:
If you think it's test anxiety you can try making him a practice test based on the material that will appear on his upcoming test. You can tell him that it will be graded as an actual test so he needs to try his best on it, like he does for all tests. While he is taking the exam you should observe his behavior to see how he actually reacts to taking tests. Then you will figure out whether he has test anxiety or not.
Ps- make sure you dont help him if he's stuck, just let him figure it out on his own, as teachers will not help him during an actual test.

0
0
Beth40
Beth40 writes:
research dyslexia
talk to teacher, school should test him. Do not wait, it will only discourage him and you.

0
0
bachmai
bachmai writes:
I would say let the child have a life, most of my friends kids at that same age were outside playing all the time and doing only  minimal basic study ie. that supplied and supported by their teachers at school.  My kids had no private tutition , maybe an hour max at home with weekends free. They worked things out for themselves by discovery and where they couldnt i stepped in . Both ended up at James Ruse Ag. school and now in their second year medicine at Uni . Why are you pushing a kid that age so hard for ? for yourself or him and whats the final aim you are looking at for him. I think the pressure may have gotten to him already , bit of a shame at his age since you say he is so bright. Forget about the B's and C's for now and let him enjoy the learning experience, it only happens once , he will change as he gets older. Most importantly dont compare him to others. I know some kids who studied more than yours and had private tution all weekend and still ended up being dunces and cant problem solved even now in their late teens . Bye N good luck

0
0
Show me another question in this topic