nyeshar
nyeshar asks:
Q:

My child is too shy...any help?

My child is 2 and half yrs old...she is very much active and talkative when with us at home...but when we have guests or when we go out she is too shy...doesnt interact with anyone..
We do not have many kids around the locality...so getting her to interact is difficult..
Can anyone suggest me some place where I can take her..I am very much worried about her formal schooling..
Thanks..
In Topics: Preschool, Learning issues and special needs

|

Thank you for writing to JustAsk!

A shy child is not a concern at the age of 2 1/2 when with strangers.  To help increase a comfort level in unfamiliar places consider taking her to storytimes at the library, playgrounds where you are there with her and other family oriented events. She has a few more years ahead of her before you need to worry about her feeling "comfortable" in a formal school environment.

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0

NT28
NT28 writes:
Children take time to interact with new people. It is very important to make them used to many people...
I think a preschool is a good option for you...I would suggest Eurokids International...i had a good experience with it...
Best of luck

1
2
askmeillsayyas
askmeillsay... writes:
well the best thing to do is to take you child to a preschool playground and talk to the kids parents and then tell ur kid that its ok say "hi" trust me this works i did it

0
1
Hi neyshar,

I can understand your concerns and a suggestion that may help.

It is as easy as a trip to the local library.  My local library has story time for preschool age kids, I had taken both of my children and it was a wonderful experience.  They meet once a week for about 1 hour (sometimes a little longer) and read stories, play music, interact with other children, do crafts, play games and have a snack.  Most children are a little shy at this age, but this is an environment that allows the children to gradually adapt to other children, learn to follow instruction at their own pace and be in a classroom setting.

In the beginning, my son did not want to join the other kids, which was perfectly fine, he sat with me and overtime, I watched him come out of his shell.  The preschool story time runs through such as a regular school year, beginning in August and ending in May.  We just had our last class last Wednesday.  There is also a Summer Reading Program, which we register for in June and will run to August.  I take both of my children to the Summer program too.  My daughter will turn 9 this summer and she still enjoys attending.  They separate the kids according to age, my son is also looking forward to it, because he starts school next year and won't be able to go to the Preschool Story Time, but he knows that he can attend in Summer.

In the summer program, they may bring in magicians, story tellers, it's themed each week with a lot of educational value and there is a craft that goes along with the subject--it's just a fun experience!  We always wrap up the year with a cookout and the children are rewarded certificates and prizes, everyone gets free books and it is also good for you, because you'll get to meet other parents with the same concerns as you and most likely, even get to know some of the kids that will attend formal school with your child.

This program is FREE and I think it will help your daughter gradually get comfortable with others in a manner that won't scare her or place you "on the spot" and all while she learns and has fun.  If there is more than one library close to you, you may even want to check each of them out to see which program suits you best or it may even be possible to attend both.  In the summer months, I visit 2 branches because they have different activities on different days and it allows us to have 2 experiences.  

Give it a try and let us know how it works out.  Best Wishes!!

1
0
Sarpax
Sarpax writes:
Have you tried play dates?  Does your child have special needs?  If so I have a chat forum for parents of special needs children that may have some info on it that can help.  www.snparentalsupport.proboards.com

0
0
dulcegaby2005
dulcegaby2005 writes:
i have a 4 and a half daughter and she is exacly the same way.  She has been attending pre-school for almost 2 years now and we have the same problem. She would not even interact with the kids in her classroom and she knows them for quite a while. I have taking her to several library readings taking her to the park and places like that but she would prefer to play by her self.  What else can i do for her? She's a very smart girl for her age and her shyness almost stoped her from going to advance classes on kinder garden... Help me please!!

0
0