Anonymous
Q:

why is my child sometimeswriting his heading backwards?

At school my child is learning to write his heading he used to do it correctly but recently I found that there have been two instances where he wrote them backwards. I don't know why and I would like to know why so that I can help him.
In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|

Sylvia HS

Hi pats,

Children who are learning how to print English words have to train their brains to move from left to right.  It matters which way letters are facing and which direction we print them.  Before your child went to school it didn't matter which way things were facing.  A chair was a chair whether or not it was facing left or right, or whether it was right side up or upside down.  Now your child has to learn that it does matter which way letters are facing and which direction he (or she) prints them.

Teachers help beginning students by drawing a green light on the left side of the page with an arrow going to the right side of the page where there's a red light.  Or teachers might put an arrow on children's desks, so that they always know which direction to print.

It's important to establish correct directionality early, so that children develop the habit of left to right printing.  We don't want them to develop two habits, sometimes printing from left to right and sometimes printing from right to left.

In my experience, some children learn very quickly about printing, while some children need more supports to help them establish the habit of left to right directionality.

Your child could probably tell you what he (or she) finds most helpful.  Then you and your child's teacher can have the helpful cue handy both at home and at school.

2
0

eliad
eliad , Parent writes:
<p>My son also makes these mistakes (He's 4+). His teacher told us that letter reversals are a typical part of learning to write. Don&rsquo;t worry too much if you see a few backward letters in your child&rsquo;s writing, it happens with most kids at sometime(Especially with letters like P, b and d)</p>

2
0