spurdy
spurdy asks:
Q:

What can I do to help my child in special education?

I have a 15yr old daughter that is in 8th grade is special ed with many learning diffculties along with many medical issues too. She has struggled in school I have been to iep meetings, have called many meetings at school to change her programs she needs a 1 on 1 or a smaller school she is 15 and can't even count money the dr said she is a child that the school  let fell between the cracks on her education , now i am having problems getting her to school because she is so frusterated with school she has violent out bursts when i talk about school. I can't get any help counceling is not an option there is a 6month waiting list. all they do is report me to child protective services what can i do is there any help out there? i need help soon before the remove her out of my care.
In Topics: Special education

|

Hello.  I can tell by the tone of your question that your daughter's educational problems are just one of several difficult issues that you are handling.  I agree with my fellow posters that you should call for help at area agencies that can assist working with difficulty children.  May I suggest also support groups for parents that are FREE.  If you child has cognitive difficulties you can access meetings through your regional ARC.  If she has learning disabilities there are support groups for parents with children with this disorder as well.  

Also, please ask to speak to your child's school counselor or school psychologist.  Public schools cannot charge for asking to speak to them confidentially.  Also, they can steer you to others who may be able to provide service quicker than the six months you mentioned.

I have added websites for you to locate local groups in your area.  And please note that local libraries are often privy to much information to help parents.  

Good luck!  Please know that there are people who can help you and your daughter.

Louise Masin Sattler,NCSP
Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com
0
0

It sounds like you are experiencing a difficult situation with your daughter.  I am going to suggest that you call the Boys Town National Hotline (1-800-448-3000) where one of the counselors can assess your situation more specifically and provide you with referrals in your area to assist you and your daughter.

0
0
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Don€™t give up hope; there is help out there for your daughter and you. Not knowing which state you are from I cannot give you specific phone numbers to call, however, I would suggest first finding out the names of your School Board. This is a matter of public record and by calling your schools district office they should have all the names of the School Board and their contact information. I suggest you speak to one or more of them first, before putting anything in writing. I can hear your angst and that€™s what we want the powers to be to hear. Tell them your story and see what help they can get you through your Daughters school. If they do not give you a satisfactory answer to your issue and proceed to get you help then you tell them that you are filing a civil complaint with your State Board of Education. Trust me that will get their attention. If you are having trouble getting this information please feel free to call Kid Angels toll free number and I will get the information for you. 1-877-583-3254

0
0
mmsteffler
mmsteffler writes:
My son has violent outburst too. It's like walking on egg shells sometimes. Some days are better than others. I have I have delt with counceling and with  protective services too. Kids with mental illness are often referred to as betweeners because they don't look disabled but they are. people treat them differently because they cannot physically see anything wrong with them. They fall in between the cracks and don't get the help they need. I am looking for help for my son too. Have you talked with your daughter about her feelings or about other educational options? Do you have any help from your family? Just make sure she knows that you love her and you will do everything in your power to protect her and care for her. Keep trying it's worth it.

0
0
lovie3
lovie3 writes:
I am a parent of learning disability young man who wants to learn but i can not get the school system to get the things he needs to learn with and he has not had an I.E.P. signed by me in four years and they still do nothing what do i do .

0
0
willismom36
willismom36 writes:
For one I think that the school shouldn't have put her off as much as they have. You as the parent have rights and your daughter has rights too. If you feel your dr. that is taking care of your daughter isn't doing his/her job. I would find another dr. that will accept your child. I have a child that has medical problems and several disabilites. I am constantly doing research online. If your a stay at home mom there are work books that you can buy that are educational. You can get these books from Sam's or a school house store if one is in your area. I will keep you in my prayers and I understand what your going through. Thank God my  child has a awesome teacher and the district where I live is awesome. I wouldn't change it for nothing. I don't think that Child Protective Services can take a disabled child away from there mom when the school has not done there job. My recommendation is to volunteer at your child's school and always ask questions of what your child is learning etc. Good luck and God Bless.

0
0
MAHENOORMAJEED
MAHENOORMAJ... writes:
WE WANT TO EDUCATE OUR DAUGHTER ABOUT COMPUTER HOW CAN WE DO THAT

0
0