DREAMERA
DREAMERA asks:
Q:

I have a child who is in special for speech and I don't see he is making progress and he has 6 years in speech and if someone knows how I can help him

He is in school and there is were he is getting special speech he start having this program in elementary school in first grade now he is in middle school in 6 grade and he still reading like a first grader and the teacher of specials said that he is progress but I don't see he is progressing he's teacher of E.S.O.L said that I have to help him and the math teacher said the same what do I do.
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

Although it is your responsibility as a mom to be an advocate for your child, it is the school's responsibility to give your son the support he needs to be able to learn. It is important that you ask for a meeting with anyone at the school involved with your son, include his teacher, the speech therapist, and a reading specialist if there is one. Let them know your concerns about his progress. Find out what additional resources the school has to help better support your son.

Also, find out any suggestions the school has of things that you can do to help your child. If your child has special learning needs, he should have an Individualized Education Plan with goals that all of the different specialists should be working on. If you meet and still feel as if your concerns are not being understood, contact the school's principal. Ask for a meeting to voice your concerns and what you feel should be done to help your son.

As your son's most important advocate, you can help get him the support and resources that he needs to be able to learn.

0
0

sirenssong
sirenssong writes:
If he is in 6th grade and first grade reading level, his problem is not just speech.  He needs to be assessed for other learning disabilities. he could have issues with visual processing or other disabilities that are undiagnosed.  He needs intervention now.  You will be limited as to how to help, he needs specialized intervention.  Call an ARD meeting and request he be assessed in the areas of visual processing, dysgraphia (writing processing), receptive language, and executive function.  Additionally they can test for autism and a host of other issues .  A normal parent does not have the tools to help a struggling reader who is learning disabled, you need specialized help.  you have the right to request any assessment you deem necessary.  If you feel he is not progressing, don't take the teachers' word for it, go with your gut and get him help.

0
0