dusica2
dusica2 asks:
Q:

How can a child start first grade if she misses the October 1st as the cut off for her birthday?

My daughter was born in mid November and is extremely interested in doing school at home. We do it almost daily. With that kind of zest, I think she would benefit going to school early, but due to her birthday, she would not be allowed. Someone suggested going to private kindergarten that doesn't follow the state law, and yet another person said to home school kindergarten and then they would accept her into first grade regardless. Anyone have any advice?
In Topics: School and Academics, Kindergarten readiness

|
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Dusica2,

Some school districts offer an academic exam to test children who wish to attend kindergarten but miss the cut off date to see whether they are ready for kindergarten.  You can go to your local school district to inquire about the test.  Good luck!

Vicki

0
1
dusica2
dusica2 writes:
I don't think this would work, they all follow the state law, which states you may start with your age group providing you were born before October 1st.

I would hope someone who did it the way in my original question would tell me about their own experience.

0
1
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Dusica2....

I am not certain whether it's a state law or the school district has the option of admitting under-age children who just miss the cut-off date.  I had looked up the information for a friend last year and had the impression that it’s by the school district as my friend did go to our local school district and asked about it and they did offer the option.  We live in California and here's the link about how to enroll under-age children who just miss the cut-off date to start kindergarten.  

Vicki

0
0
Aunty-Sammy
Aunty-Sammy writes:
She may benefit from an exctra year in nursery/pre-school before Kindergarten. In the UK the birthday range for an academic year is 1st of September to 31st August. That means a child who is 4 years old in the August will be able to start Primary school in the reception class in September just after their 4th birthday but a child born on September 1st misses out and has to wait until the following year when he or she is almost 5 to start school and go into reception. This means that children born in September - December get an extra year at Nursery 3 years in Nursery instead of 2, and benefit enromously not only academically but socially and emotionally as well. If your child is keen on learning look for a well suctured pre-school that does work in small groups and not just play all day. Also it is possible for your daughter to go to pre-school all day. If not contact your local schools and speak to them that your daughter is ready for Kindergarten is it possible to start her early - after it is your right as a parent to decide the best course of education for your child.

0
0