Anonymous
Q:

How do I get my child tested for adhd and for psychological issues? What can the School do to help?

My daughter has been through allot in the 11years of her life. She watched her brother trying to be revived by the Dr's. She was only 3 and on the phone with 911. He died of S.I.D.S. And my family has a history of mental health issues. Seriously I need help.
In Topics: Physical Health, Learning disabilities, ADHD & attention issues

|

Talk to your pediatrician or medical home to help coordinate her care.  Entering puberty with lots of issues usually requires support of some kind from school, home or extended family.  Best wishes but there are many places to turn for help.

0
0

I'm sorry to hear about the tough times your family has been going through. I hope things begin looking up, and that you're able to find the right resources to assist your daughter.

Below, I've included a link to an article put together by the National Center for Learning Disabilities that provides guidance for parents who suspect their child may have a learning disability. They advise collecting information about your child's school performance, talking to your child's teacher, and then working to get your child tested after getting her teacher involved.

I've also included the link to a Special Edition portal focused on Learning Disabilities that may contain more useful information.

0
0
Houli
Houli writes:
If you suspect your child has special learning needs, you should contact the guidance counselor at the school she will be attending. If the school does not have a guidance counselor talk with the principal.

Call and ask for an appointment to talk with a school official and indicate it is about your child's special needs.

This should get immediate attention, recognizing that at the beginning of the school year it is a hectic time, so work cooperatively with the school.

0
0
Anonymous