If child is transferred from Alabama school to facility in Florida, will the former school board be responsible to pay for his education?

"I am inquiring about a child that was transferred from AL to our facility in FL. We are a psychiatric treatment facility. This patient came from [an elementary school] in Houston County. He had an IEP, but the family decided to place him here in our facility. The county in which our facility is located in FL will not allow him to be counted in our FTE due to his status of being a resident of AL. My question is this: Will the school board of the county from which he came in Alabama be responsible to pay for his education? Please let us know either way. Thank you so much!"

Asked by Scott via email.  
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Learning issues and special needs, State education standards
> 60 days ago



Jul 18, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Unfortunately, this is a question that needs to be addressed on a local or state level by the home state and the school.  Some states will pay for out of state placement as a "last resort" if it meets IDEA standards.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance for this legal type of question.
Good luck.

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Nationally Certified School Psychologist

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely