angelaw
angelaw asks:
Q:

Can my 5 year old stay at home till next yr. legally?

My child turned 5 in March & started Kindergarten 3 wks ago, she is very smart but, seems emotionally not ready.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...
In Topics: Back to school, Kindergarten readiness

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

Depending on your school district's cut-off date for enrolling in kindergarten, children need to be 5 years of age or approaching their 5th birthday in order to start kindergarten.  For some children who have recently turned 5 or will be turning 5 the first month or so of school, they are ready emotionally, academically, and maturity-wise to begin kindergarten. However, it is becoming more common for parents to give their child another year until they are 6 if they feel as if their child is not quite ready.

It’s best to contact your child’s school district to determine if you are able to keep your child at home or in a preschool program if you feel she is not yet prepared for a kindergarten classroom.  Many preschools offer a pre-kindergarten class or a transitional-kindergarten class for those children who just miss the cut-off or who are not ready at 5 to begin kindergarten. This Pre-K or TK class often prepares the child academically and socially for kindergarten to help the child be better ready for the next year. This extra year also provides additional time for growth and maturity.

As your child’s parent, you are the best person to determine if your child is ready for kindergarten. If you feel she needs another year, you are able to make that decision to give her one more year to mature and develop the skills she will need in kindergarten.

2
0

pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Angelaw,

Whether your five-year-old can stay home legally depends on when his/her birthday is and which states you live in.  For example, if you live in a state that requires all kids who are age five on or before September 1 to enroll in kindergarten, but your child’s birthday is September 2, then s/he does not have to enroll this year.  Every state sets their birth date requirement differently, it can be as early as July 1 to as late as December 1.

Even though all states set an age requirement to start kindergarten, kindergarten is NOT mandatory in most states.  There are only 10 states that kindergarten enrollment is mandatory:  Alaska, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Virginia. (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2000/rpt/olr/htm/2000-r-0565.htm)

Vicki

4
0
Seann
Seann writes:
I'd recommend contacting your local school district to find out what options are available to you.  Education.com's SchoolFinder application (http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/) has profiles on all the school districts across the country, including contact information.  Search for your city to find your local school district.  Let us know what you find out.  Good luck!

1
0
amberjanye
amberjanye writes:
In england children start pre school at 3,
so at 5 they seem to be a lot more grown up mentally and emotionally.

0
0
sahm710
sahm710 writes:
What state are you in? Look up the school rules/laws for your state. If you believe your daughter is not emotionally ready, then she isn't. You are her mother and you know her better than anyone else does. If the law allows then I would not send her until you believe she is ready within the laws requirements. I want to also suggest a book for you to read. "Better Late Than Early", By: Raymond Moore. I have decided to home-school my almost 5 year old daughter. We are going to be using Sonlight in the future. Right now we use an e-book I purchased offline from Shirley Erwee to learn the ABC's. I know there's a lot of "discussion" about "socializing". I just let that roll off my back, most days. She gets plenty of it. It all adds up. I'm sorry I'm boring you with our life. I know you didn't ask for that. I haven't read the article you have referenced above. I will read that next. Good luck with what ever decision you make. Also, try not to feel pressured to do what "everyone else is doing". I know I have felt that way more than once. Good luck again! :)

0
0
Nitzanayah
Nitzanayah writes:
Look up your state compulsary school age laws this is also for homeschooling also know that you can opt out of or get exemptions for immumizations there is a lot of ppl educating themselves about vaccines esp.  with the high number of ADD/ADHD and Autism diagnosis.  You can go to VINE or any other vaccination education website to find out more info.  and here is a link to state laws and age etc.  http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

0
0