aet9rat6
aet9rat6 asks:
Q:

My child won't graduate. How to help him?

My child is behind in credits and is in 11th grade, so he probably wont graduate in time. Where do I find the help I need for this situation?
I have done all I can with the school
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school, Teen issues

|

This sounds like a difficult situation. If you haven't already, I suggest that you make an appointment with your son's school counselor to discuss a graduation plan. If your son is only slightly behind in his credits, he may be able to make some credits up in summer school or the local community college.

If your son is so behind, that there is little chance that he can graduate on time, completing the GED may be his best option. The GED is considered the equivalent of a high school diploma and has been around for over 65 years. For more the GED and testing matters, visit the American Council on Education (URL is listed below). Although the GED is considered equivalent to the high school diploma, a diploma is generally preferred over the GED by future employers. Thus, if there is any opportunity for your son to graduate from high school, that would be the preferable path.

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist
1
0

s2k2s
s2k2s writes:
I ran into the same situation. You indicate that you have done all that you can with the school. Have you kept the school board, superintendent of school and the state board of education informed of this situation or did you just work with the school. Have you actually observed your child for yourself in the classroom. Has the child had a physical recently? It could be a hormonal imbalance. What activities does your child participate in after school? Have you sought supplemental educational assistance, tutors?

1
0
aet9rat6
aet9rat6 writes:
I talked with the counselor, he is saying what the expert here is saying,, A Ged,,,but thats not good enough for me. I want him to get his diploma and on time.
All this school needs to do for me is get him summer school online. We did this one year and it worked, well at least he passed the class and gained that extra credit. This school doesnt have summer school other then online. I think this should be mandatory for all schools to have. I am low income and cant afford the online summer school for him.
In all the searches I have done on failing school I end up in special education, he has been tested for LD but found out he is depressed. This school is a Title 1 and offers tutors, but I need credits completed at this point. I also checked the GreatSchools site and omg, parents are feed up with this school. My next step is to take him out of this school and put him in JobCorps, seems like the next best thing.

0
0
Anonymous