mumkat
mumkat asks:
Q:

I have two children with autism. Could they be dyslexic too?

In Topics: Dyslexia, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Many times children will have complicated psycho-educational profiles.  So yes, it is possible for a child with autism to meet the criteria for learning disabilities, too.  Especially if they are high functioning.  Yet, this will need to be a diagnosis after extensive psycho-educational evaluations and just not by observation.  (Also, note that children as old as second graders often reverse numbers and letters).

Thanks for writing-

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Owner of Signing Families™

0
0

Sonsangnim
Sonsangnim writes:
Dyslexia and autism often come in the same package because many people in both groups are picture thinkers. You might want to see the HBO movie about Temple Grandin and also read her book, Thinking in Pictures. Then read the article "I Think in Pictures, You Teach in Words" by Lesley Sword. Get Jeff Freed's book Right-Brained CHildren in a Left-Brained World and Allie Golon's Visual-SPatial Learners.  Ron Davis  has both autism and dyslexia. You should get his book, The Gift of Dyslexia and go to his website, dyslexia.com. You might find Thomas West's book, In the Mind's Eye, very encouraging. Many brilliant people are picture thinkers and had problems with dyslexia. I have dyslexia and I have so many things in common with my students who have autism that I am beginning to wonder of dyslexia is at the high end of the autism spectrum.

0
0
Anonymous