momofive
momofive asks:
Q:

My children don't like to eat. They always skip their meals. What will I do?

In Topics: My picky eater

|

If it comes to food, parents' responsibility is to prepare healthy and nutritious meals for their children. On the other hand, children have responsibility to eat it!  

Children have an automatic ability to regulate how much food they need for growth.  Forcing children to finish their meals may disturb that mechanism and promote overeating and obesity.  If your children are not hungry for lunch,  they will have bigger appetites or dinner, so I would not worry about skipping meals.  In between meals, structure nutritious snacks to provide your kids with the necessary nutrients, and offer them a daily multivitamin.

Please read this article "The Power of healthy snacks":
http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=0
0
0

fritzr
fritzr writes:
Unless they are all anorexic then they must be eating something.  It's not that they don't like to eat since eating is a part of life.  The most likely culprit is that they are probably filling up on snacks or other food.  This may be happening at home or if they are old enough then someplace else.  It's possible, but unlikely, that your cooking is just so horrible they have to eat someplace else. But I guarantee they are willingly eating something.

0
2
sivasanjay
sivasanjay writes:
Dont repeat the same items  as they refuse it. even my child likes to eat varieties of food .  try for that. if your child is more than 5yrs old ask them what they would like to have  and try to fulfill their needs.

0
0
Hi Mom of Five,

You might check out the numerous answers and suggestions that another JustAsk member got to a similar question:

http://www.education.com/question/pick-eater/

There are actually quite a few Q&A in this topic area, which you can review through this link (produced by doing a search for "eating" on the Find questions homepage):
http://www.education.com/answers/search/?searchTerms=eating

In raising our daughter, we found that she would try new food items as she saw her cousins and friends try them. We also occasionally had to create consequences when she wouldn't sit down and eat her dinner with our family, such as no video watching afterward. We also made a big deal of it when she would eat healthy -- heaping lots of praise on her.

I'm including a link below to a Healthy Eating Strategies info center on Education.com you may find helpful. Good luck!

1
0
sadgirl
sadgirl writes:
tell them there is nothing heathy in there for them mabe that will work

0
1
readingservicemom
readingserv... writes:
We have a required 2 "no thank you" bites, in order to teach our kids that they need to try something before they decide they don't like it.  We have had them do this with items that they have already said "no thank you" to previously.  We have explained that taste buds change (I know I read somewhere that a kid may need to try something 12 times before he'll like it).  If those 2 bites don't occur, then the child loses something like computer time or TV time (things we don't love anyway!!).  If the 2 bites are eaten, we don't push the kids to eat anything else.
If the problem is getting in nutrition, you can sneak great stuff into kid-friendly foods: pureed carrot into pasta sauce, pureed cauliflower into boxed mac and cheese.  I even put nutritional yeast and crushed flaxseed into buttermilk pancake mix!

0
0
babygrl98
babygrl98 writes:
some kids just dont like wat they eat but you know kids they will eat at dinner because kids starve themselves so they could eat more of what your cooking

0
0