meliharm asks:

Children with health issues falling behind in school

I Have a daughter with Cystic Fibrosis and has missed so much school due to hospital admissions that she is failing the 9th grade.We have an IEP in placed but not getting any extra help from school to help her catch up.Where can I go to get help dealing with the school about not meeting my daughter's needs? I would say let them fail her, maybe next year will be better.But every year her heath issues is the same or worse.please need some advice..
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Medical problems
> 60 days ago



Wayne Yankus
May 9, 2013
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

The federal law requires your school system provide tutoring or home instruction or bedside instruction when she cannot attend school. Failing a grade only should happen if she refused home care or did not do what work was required.  Meet with your superintendent and director of special services and the grade administrator together and come up with a plan which may include summer school.  The guidance department can go over with teachers what is the minimum work required.  Get a parent advocate on your side and go for it.

Best wishes.

Wayne Yankus, MD, FAAP
expert panelist: pediatrics

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

Tysonow writes:
For more health related information,you could better refer the <a href="">best cancer hospital in Kerala</a>,which would solve all kind of problems in a better manner,
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely