Anonymous asks:

What to do about my children with hostile mother...

Dr. Medoff,

In addition to my children living with me, I have two children that live in another state, one of which I have never seen and the other I have not seen since she was 11 months old. Leave it as said that the situation between the mother and I is hostile.  There has been much drama to take place over the past six years and this reason is why I have not initiated proceedings for visitation.  I have, however, expressed a desire to their mother to be a part of my children's lives.  I have sent presents in the past (some of which were destroyed and sent back) and at times when the mother pretended to be friendly I again expressed a desire to see them (this always ended with her trying to cause problems in my marriage).  The mother is now with a man whom she is going to marry and she has had my children calling him Daddy for a long time.  This is my question, and please, do not sugar coat it: Would my children be better off if I pursued visitation or signed their rights over and tried to see them when they are 18?  This matter needs to be laid to rest, one way or another.  Thank you.
In Topics: Blended families
> 60 days ago



Nov 11, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

This is a difficult situation.  Don't sign away your rights, but do pursue some sort of legal visitation agreement.

Children need to know their father and their mother. Don't give up- it's your right to be able to regularly see your children.

I hope this helps you.
Kindest Regards,

Shirley Cress Dudley
Director of The Blended and Stepfamily Resource Center
Author of Blended Family Advice
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely