R_lock
R_lock asks:
Q:

How can we make our children be better problem solvers?

I found this site:

http://rightbrainsare.us/ideas/kings-queens-of-...

There are other great concepts on there, but I particularly liked this one.

Vote for it by liking it, It may get implemented.
In Topics: Helping my child with math, My Relationship with my child's school

|

RoxanneR

It’s important to let children make decisions from an early age so that they can appreciate the consequences of their choices.  They may make good choices or bad choices, but they at least will have the chance to learn what is the best choice for them.

As long as your child doesn’t make a dangerous decision, let him/her see the consequences of choices. When we deny children the chance to make decisions, they grow up in a world where all decisions are made for them and they don’t learn to think for themselves.  Feel free to make some suggestions, but allow your child to struggle or even fail – this is an important part of lesson learning.  

With younger children, it may be a good idea to start by giving them some choices rather than leaving the decision completely open ended.  Because of their age, they may make a completely bizarre choice, but if you give them some alternatives, then they get to see the different choices and choose from there.  As children get older, allow them to make informed choices on their own.

If the problem solving involves conflict, try and follow these basic steps:

1) Identify the problem - get information about the problem
2) Make a statement together that defines the problem
3) Brainstorm possible solutions to solve the problem
4) Decide on the best solution – the solution should ideally be win-win
5) Follow through on the decision

Above all, be patient when watching or helping your child problem solve.  It can be frustrating to watch them make poor decisions and have to live with the consequences, but know that you’re setting them up to be great problem solvers!

0
0
Anonymous