lluviosa
lluviosa asks:
Q:

Would my children be at risk of being autistic?

I also have a question about genetics of autism. My cousin (daughter of the sister of my father) has 2 children with autism (3rd child is healthy), if her children are autistic, is that possible that my children are at risk as well? I mean, I don't have any children yet but if one day I do?
My cousin was young when she had her children and didn't smoke or drink alcohol, etc. Also they still couldn't find out if this comes from our family line or her husband's..
I am a bit worried, because I've read autism has a lot to do with genetics, but is it maybe only with closer relatives? Also, for example, before it was always a huge stress for me to speak in public and sometimes very difficult to define my thoughts, could that mean that the cause of that is similar "wrong" genes?

Thank you before hand.
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hello and thank you for writing to Just Ask!

As of now, there is no solid information pointing to what causes Autism.  For more information, please consider these websites:

www.AutismSpeaks.org
www.Autism-Society.org
www.KylesTreehouse.org

I hope these help provide you with the information you are seeking!

0
0