Q:

How to get children to Tussahaw Elementary when they do not qualify for bus transportation?

"I live in Lake Iris Subdivision, and my child attends Tussahaw Elementary in McDonough, Georgia. With [the school's] new transportation guidelines this year, my child does not qualify for bus transportation. There is a bus which picks up in our neighborhood (3 houses down from our house), however my child cannot ride this bus. There are a total of 3 children in our neighborhood who are all in this predicament. How can this issue be resolved? Please respond. Thank you."

Asked by Michael via email.
In Topics: Back to school, Working with school administrators

|

Hi Michael,  I'm sorry to hear that your child and others are in a transportation predicament with getting to school.

If you intended your question for the school directly, here is a link to their website (with contact info, if you don't already have it handy): http://schoolwires.henry.k12.ga.us/te/site/default.asp

If instead you are looking for ideas from members of the Education.com community, here are a few potential solutions I offer for your consideration...

1.) Arrange a carpool with the other parents in your neighborhood whose children also can no longer take the bus. Take turns transporting all three children to and from school, and if one parent can't participate, have them pitch in for gas instead (or work out an alternative way for them to contribute, such as babysitting the children on a weekend eve).

2.) If a parent ride cannot be arranged: hire a helper (nanny, housecleaner, tutor) with a driver's license who can shuttle the kids to and from school in the morning and afternoon.

3.) Arrange with a child transport company to transport the kids to school. In our area (in Northern California), there are a handful of organizations that do this for a relatively small fee. I did a quick search for "McDonough, Georgia child transport" and found two companies you could contact to learn more: My Dear Kids Transportation Services (Phone: 770-866-6459‎) and Busy Kids Cab (http://www.busykidscab.net ).  

4.) Talk to the school about before and after school care. Perhaps you (or another caretaker) could drop the kids at the school care facility on your way to and from work.

The school or school district may also have some suggestions for families who no longer quality for bus transportation under the new guidelines.

Good luck - I hope you are able to quickly resolve this issue.

1
0