Eliz's mom
Eliz's mom asks:
Q:

My child's kindergarten teacher rarely goes to class! What do I do?

My child's kindergarten teacher misses so much school and I feel like she is going to fall behind. I have noticed a pattern in her attendance and it seems to me she has a subsitude at least twice a week. If she isn't setting a good attendance record for herself how is my child going to learn that it is important to attend school? And with different sub-teachers in her place how does the days studies get determind?I have all these questions but in her school there is no one to answer me!  Help, are there any suggestions?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|
Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Wow Helen,  My son's in Kindergarten too and I'd be really upset if this was happening in his class.  I don't blame you for being concerned!  I think you're exactly right that this is a bad example for your daughter (who is just learning about how to be a good student).   And depending on what the teacher is dealing with that is causing her to be absent, it could even be distracting her on the days she is in the classroom.  

I would definitely ask to have a meeting with the school principal to voice your concerns.  Are they considering hiring a replacement teacher?   Are they working to be sure the substitute is consistent so there€™s not someone new in the class twice a week?  Do they have a good understanding of the teacher€™s situation and do they expect the absences to continue?   If you get the sense from the principal that this behavior is likely to continue, you may have to talk about other options.  Obviously it would be disruptive to change classrooms at this point in the year but it might be worth it if it resulted in stability for the second half of the year.

Obviously the teacher is dealing with something big in her personal life and you want to be sensitive to that but your daughter's education has to be your first priority.  

Good luck and let me know what happens!

0
0
Eliz's mom
Eliz's mom writes:
Thank you for the good advice! There were some issues that I hadn't even thought of that you brought to my attention! I will be addressing the principle of my daughters school and I really do appreciate the questions you suggested to bring up at this meeting. I will be seeing the principle on Monday after school and now I will a chance to follow through on all the concerns I have. Sometimes I feel like I am a pest when I do try to get some answers, but, you are right! My daughter's education is real important to me and she will always come first! There is one issue that did concern me also and that was the point you had written; about her changing class in the middle of the school year. She is not very shy at all and she seems to adapt very well with other children she has just met, yet, I was worried and have also wonderd if a change in classmates would cause her to hold back in participating in class? What if she becomes withdrawled within new classmates? What is your opinion on this matter? I just don't want to ruin her or break her. You've got to know what I must feel like. Once again, thanks for responding and thank for your support. Please keep in touch.  Helen

0
0
Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi Helen,

I would keep changing classrooms as a last resort.  Obviously, the best case would be for your daughter's current teacher to stop being absent.  I guess it comes down to whether one BIG disruption (changing classes) is worse than a whole school year of little disruptions.  Really only you can make that decision based on what you know about your daughter.  

I do think that kids at this age are still really good at dealing with change.  If she moved to a new class it would be much easier for her to make new friends than if she was, say in 4th or 5th grade where "groups" are already really well formed.

At your meeting on Monday you might talk to the principal about whether changing classes is even an option.  The other Kindergarten classes may be full.

Let me know how the meeting goes.  I'll be thinking of you!

0
0