bob , Parent asks:
Q:

What's different about your child's school experience than yours?

Parents, do you remember your third grade class and teacher?  What stands out in your memory and how does that compare to your child's experience in third grade?  Are the academics the same?  Is the playground the same?

I was in Madera Elementary School in El Cerrito, California, in third grade in the 1960s and I recall that my teacher's name was "Mrs. Gedda."  While I don't remember much about the academics, I do recall that we had chalk slateboards (I think they were green), and getting chosen to take the chamois rags outside and whack the chalk dust out of them during class time was a sign that you were in favor with the teacher.  We sat in individual desks in rows.

We did not have a television in the classroom, but one of the parents brought one in on the day that John Glenn was launched into orbit.

The school has a playground perched atop a small cliff in the hills above San Francisco Bay and the view out towards the Golden Gate Bridge was spectacular.  We mostly played kickball and four-square during recess, and the same three boys were always dominant in those games.

Here is a satellite view of the school:
http://tinyurl.com/37mt6g

Last year my youngest daughter was in third grade and I noted some similarities and differences, and our schools are about the same size and in the same general area.

Her: parents pick up most of the kids in minivans.
Me: most kids walked home.

Her: teacher who put a lot of time and energy into teaching.
Me: the same.

Her: cliques, bullies, some playground trash talk.
Me: the same.
In Topics: Family fun / holiday celebrations

|
LDSolutions

Best Answer!

I love this question!  It makes you stop and think about your education.  I grew up in the 70's.  We had a book, paper and a pencil.  We did a lot of phonics and my favorite time was when the teacher read to us.  We had PE everyday and I remember a music teacher.  In High School I remember typing all my papers and not owning a computer until I graduated College!  We didn't text message or have cell phones.  I had to send hand written letters to everyone (i have a very big family).  Boy did I hate writing.  I now have 2 Master Degrees and am working towards a PhD.  Obviously with as little as we had in schools - something must have been right!
1
0

rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
I have a few very clear memories of third grade, most of which involve terror at new math concepts. I remember learning about the &quot;Golden Triangle,&quot; and measuring the length of forearms, legs, and feet to see whose dimensions were the closest to Greek ideals of beauty.<br />
I would also pinpoint third grade as the grade I fell behind in math (for good!). I was out sick a few days, and missed the introduction to long and short division. Good thing I have other skills!<br />

1
0
jules91
jules91 writes:
My school was in LA in a tough neighborhood.  Our playground had no grass or trees.  But our teach was good he had a way of making us sit and listen.  We had basic math and cursiv writing and california history.  my kids are in a better school but 20 years later the books and homework looks the same

1
0
michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:
I had the greatest teacher in 3rd grade. We had an Apple II with the small green screen. She read us the Black Cauldron, and we played the computer game that accompanied the book. The computer was a big deal because many of us didn't have one. Who can forget the green screen and true floppy disk.

I also remember studying a unit on Japan. We had assigned roles as if we were a part of a Japanese family. It was fun. My teacher said she played the lottery and if she won she was going to take us all to Japan!

0
0
aguins
aguins writes:
Good comparisons, Bob.

I attended Richardson Elementary in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Third grade was a favorite grade of mine. My teacher was Miss Goggler for most of the year....she got married near the end and became Mrs. Johnson. Our entire third grade classroom attended the wedding. I loved that teacher. I don't even have too many memories of the classroom.

I'm an avid reader now (and a reading teacher also!). But in third grade I was NOT a good oral reader. We did the good ol' "round robin" reading and I didn't like reading aloud. I felt "on the spot" and muffed up my reading when I had to do it in front of the group. I remember being aware that I was in an average reading group....."Bluebirds" maybe. Redbirds were above me and Blackbirds were below me.

You and I are the same age, Bob. I don't remember watching John Glenn in 3rd grade but I do remember someone bringing a t.v. to my 2nd grade class for Alan Shepherd's launch. We were struck with awe.

1
0
I went to a private Catholic parochial school. My years were wonderful! I had great teachers and a very caring environment. The only problem was when I put into public school. My problems started there. Especially with a boy named Damon that beat my best friend up. Bullies, cliques, and other problems popped up that really distracted me from learning not to mention was socially scarring. We put our daughter in public school and then she was assaulted. So we withdrew her and not we homeschool and love it. We have a very caring homeschooled community and we participate in many outside activities. So yea, a BIG difference but one I think we will continue on with because it works :)

1
0