USS6boys
USS6boys asks:
Q:

If I choose not to let my child attend a field trip, does a public school have to provide supervision at school or can they force him to stay home?

My child goes to a CA school that has numerous field trips. If it falls on a day that I have to work, I am forced to choose between letting my son go on a field trip that I may not want him to go on (primary reason is safety concerns as the distances are 1-1.5 hours away) or being forced to take a day off work to watch him at home. The school doesn't provide an alternative for students who elect not to go on field trips. Is this legal? Don't we pay taxes so that our kids can be provided with education M-F during school hours?

|

ChristinMcClatchie
ChristinMcC... , Teacher writes:

In most cases yes they are. However this is not a Nationwide law. Look in your school Policies Handbook it will state whether or not the school is required to provide an alternative. If they are these are the things to expect:

1. Most schools will have your child stay in the office, or school library.

2. Your child will most likely have to do busy work assignments throughout the day.

In my experience as a teacher field trips are extremely beneficial, and I would encourage you to consider allowing your child to go on these field trips. But I understand being concerned with safety, I have had several moms volunteer as chaperons for the first few field trips of the year it helped put their mind at ease.

If you are set against having your child go, contact your school. They have to make arrangements for you. Explain why you do not want them to attend.

0
0