dream10
dream10 asks:
Q:

City Tech curriculum change

My son has been a part-time student at NY CityTech for two years.He has been working hard both in college and at his what- ever-he-could-find-a-job. His major is Marketing Management and Sales. This year he will be graduating with the AS. This particular college doesn't have a Bachelor program for his major, so he should be transferring to another Cuny college. As of today he has 50 credits. This year the CUNY decision was made to change the curriculum for his course for the future students. My son was told that he can not transfer to a new program. Neither can he collect all 50 credits to transfer to another college - he was told only 14 of his credits (math, bio, English) will be excepted. That means that for the passed two years my son studied and worked for almost nothing for his future and the money I have paid for the subjects is a total waste. It is a major upset for my son and a set back for another two years, not mentioning the money. He is thinking of not to go college ever again. Please, advise, how this unfortunate situation can be resolved. I would really appreciate your fast response, help and consideration. Thank you so much. Yelena.
In Topics: School and Academics, Financial planning for college, Getting ready for college

|

I sorry to hear about the trouble your son is facing.  I honestly don't know much about the college level, but I have a couple of ideas.

Have your son talk to a counselor at NY CityTech.  See if there is a college nearby that would accept all of his credits.  Also have him ask what the others in his situation are doing or going.  I would think that CityTech would be willing to help him since they don't want their reputation ruined.

Another thought is for him to continue his education online.  There are several online universities.  One of them might accept all of his credits so he can continue on.

Your son is very angry and upset, and I can't say I blame him.  Once he has time to think about it, I'm sure he will see that he does want to continue on with his education.  Just keep talking to him (without bugging him) about continuing on.  He might not be able to go to a CUNY school, but I'm sure there is another school who would love to have him.

I hope some other people have some more ideas.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0
Anonymous