Bouyoucos
Bouyoucos asks:
Q:

Should I classify my son as Learning Disability for the SAT and SATII?

I have a 16 year old son with auditory processing issues. He is an honor student, but his results on standardized tests don't reflect his abilities. He is in the process of taking the SAT and SAT II for college admittance, and I want to know if I should have him classified as LD in the hopes that he will do better in these tests (he did poorly an the PSAT)

Thank you
In Topics: College admissions tests, Learning disabilities

|

In addition to calling the number that was offered by KidAngel, please also talk with your son's guidance counselor and be sure that they are aware of your request.  My understanding is that special paperwork may need to be submitted and they may have to supply you with such documentation.

Please check the website below.  On the homepage, lower left corner it will say Students with Disabilities.  This information should guide you through the process, too.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com
1
0

KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Good Question. Here is what I advise you to do. Call this toll free number for the National State College Boards, 1-866-756-7346.  They are open 9am to 7pm EST. Tell them what your Son has been diagnosed with and that he is taking his SAT and SAT ll soon. They will tell you what documentation you need in order that your Son receive special accomdations with his SAT's because of his disorder. You should be on your way to the solution to this challenge. I'm sure your Son will do great on his Boards with a little help from the College Board Accomodations group.

Barbara Antinoro
Founder
Kid Angel Foundation

2
0
SachinThareja
SachinThareja , Student writes:

In order to show your son as LD, you might need to have a certificate either from a Government doctor or concerned department (authorised by Govt.) to issue such a certificate. He would not be entitled for the same until the college/counseling authorities are presented with that certificate. Better is to opt for this option if you are confident that you would be able to produce that certificate, else the efforts might be in wain.

Best Wishes,
Sachin

0
0
Anonymous