hello25
hello25 asks:
Q:

College and accommodations for disabled student

I am in college and receive accommodations because of learning disabilities. I am trying to get an accommodation for tests in a different format (oral exams instead of written) I saw on this website that this is an college accommodation (this link http://www.education.com/reference/article/inst...

The disabilities lady at the college says this is not allowed on the college level because they cannot tell the instructors to change their courses or to lower the standards of the class. I do not see how this would lower the standards. Besides this website is there a way i can prove that this is allowed at the college level? I tried reading the section 504 and ADA sites but can't find any specific details.

Thank's in advance
In Topics: Getting ready for college, Learning disabilities

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

If you have been identified as learning disabled with a CURRENT IEP or 504 plan, then that should be recognized at a college level if you are under the age of 22 years.  If you are having difficulties and do not have a CURRENT IEP/504 , you may ask for a re-evaluation to try and reinstitute an IEP or 504.  Each school is different as to what they can offer in regards to evaluations and programs.

You may wish to consult the local learning disabilities chapter in your area for legal and college educational  information regarding your specific situation.  

Good luck-

Louise Sattler

0
1

Wvu68
Wvu68 writes:
Students with Disabilities are protected under different laws at the college level. I would recommend that you check out the following site for information on laws and additional college information for students with disabilities. Also, at the college level it is the students responsibility to pay for an evaluation to prove that you have a disability.

0
0
Anonymous