Elene asks:

Tell me of colleges for auditory learners?

ARe there colleges for
In Topics: Learning disabilities
> 60 days ago



Aug 18, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

The short answer to your question is "no." But don't be discouraged because ALL COLLEGES, by law, must provide accommodations and support to students who disclose their disabilities and request reasonable accommodations. I would encourage you to reframe your question and instead of asking whether there are colleges that teach in a certain way, ask what types of instruction and accommodations you need to be successful! If you prefer to have texts and other printed materials read aloud, you should find out whether the college has access to digitized materials or screen reading software. You should also look into such services as Learning Ally (formerly Reading for the Blind & Dyslexic) and Bookshare, two outstanding resources that provide audio versions of printed materials, as well as text to speech software such as those offered by Kurzweil and others.

Each college campus has an office for student disability services (called by different names at different schools) and you should reach out to these folks BEFORE you make your decisions about where to apply. And when you do, be sure to ask about what specific documentation is needed (and whether your current evaluation data needs to be updated) to ensure that you don't have to wait to access help on campus.
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely