worriedMUM
worriedMUM asks:
Q:

Should I be concern if my 1yo is not interested in learning?

My son is one year old and is a very active boy.He loves playing with anything that has buttons (phones,remote controls etc) as well as other toys but when i try to teach him words and their meanings like nose,eye,ear,doggy,cup etc he just turns the opposite way and leaves. He knows to say a few words that he has picked up along the way but im not sure if he knows the meaning of them as he tends to use them whenever he likes it and not when he needs it. When i try to read him a book he takes it away from me and wants to play with it rather then me showing him whats in the book. Should i be concern?THANKS
Member Added on Dec 10, 2009
Thanks everyone for ur answers..I am first time mum and im still learning the hardest job in the world... was a bit worried because my friends kids who are similar age as my son are much more advance when it comes to that. Having said that i have to acknowledge that my son is much better in some other stuff then what they are... I know that i shouldn't be comparing  him to other kids as they are all different but it got me worried for a sec... Thanks again everyone.
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, My child's growth and development, Parenting / Our Family

|

MomSOS

Not only do you have no reason for concern, but at this point it appears that you have good reason to be pleased.

Your little one is learning in the way one year old children learn.  They play and play, and play some more. And they experiment with words too, just like he is doing. Over time they learn how to use words in meaningful contexts, and they continue to make mistakes as they grow.   He sounds fine.
Bear in mind that one year old attention spans are short. They are still babies and do not think in adult ways for quite a long time.  Your son's interest in the things around him, his beginning to use a few words (even though not always in the right place), his pulling the book away, are all within the normative range of what little ones his age will do.

Keep giving him attention and trust that he is learning every minute, with everything he does and hears from you, and from others in his world. One year old   children do not identify learning goals for themselves. They just jump into their worlds, as he is doing.

Enjoy this process of your baby's growing. Like all little ones this age, he will delight you with his growing steps.  If when he is older, he does not seem to grasp meanings of words in the correct context, then you can have him professionally evaluated.  Not to worry.  He sounds quite on track developmentally.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
Clinical Social Worker

5
0

mrabbi
mrabbi writes:
Not yet, he is still a baby.  They are not interested at that age, they are so busy exploring his world.  He is just developing his vocabulary, as long as you are talking to him, he will get it eventually.  Let him be a baby, the words come as they explore with language.  Just keep talking to him.  Get the reading in right before nap time or at a time of day he needs to settle.  He will eventually understand quiet time.  All one year olds are active. If he uses a word wrong, or syntax wrong, don't get upset with him, just repeat the word correctly.

2
0
tdsutherland
tdsutherland , Parent writes:
I agree with the others that you shouldn't be too concerned. My son did not use much speech until he was more than two years old. One thing I did when he was between 12-18 months was to start using sign language in addition to any spoken communication. By age two, he had enough knowledge and use of sign that his pediatrician considered it his primary language. I noticed a huge decrease in tantrums and frustration once he could express his needs. I also found that once he started speaking, he had a command of many more complex words than did his peers, likely because he had been using the words as sign for some time prior. We used the "Signing Time" product to learn sign together, but there are many other products available for purchase or check out from your local library.

1
0
reprah517
reprah517 writes:
No because that might mean that she will be very good in school.

0
1
BruceDeitrickPrice
BruceDeitri... , Teacher writes:
My gut reaction was: leave this kid alone. I'm pleased the four existing answers take the same line. Work on your own education. Show him your enthusiasm for hobbies, programs, books, art, learning in general. Share stuff with him. As opposed to your being the teacher all the time. Let him see you learning!

See my videos on YouTube. You can find much material there.

1
0
Anonymous