Anonymous
Q:

I'm concerned about the amount of time my 5 year olds watch television.  What are the guidelines?

In Topics: Children and screen entertainment (TV & movies)

|

JeanneBrockmyer

It is great that you are thinking about this issue!  The American Academy of Pediatrics has taken a strong stand on this issue.  The recommendation for children over age 2 is NO MORE THAN one to two hours of quality, nonviolent content per day (under 2, the recommendation is NO TIME).  Screen time includes literally every screen, tv, computer, video games.  There are two reasons for this recommendation. First, screen time is taking away from other activities that are vital to a child's developing brain such as free play, working with crafts, etc.  Second, as yet there is little research on the effects of screen time on brain development.  So even though it is tempting to allow children free access to various forms of technology, it is best to carefully monitor and limit usage.  

Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Ph. D.
education.com expert clinical child psychologist
0
0

littleredboat
littleredboat writes:
This age is still too young to be watching TV.  I let my kid watch 1 hour on Saturdays and Sundays only and that is PBS kids,Nick JR or my leap frog learning DVD. We do craft projects, read books, ride his bike or play with his toy cars.   He likes to garden with me ( mostly using the watering can and looking for birds and butterflies)

When he asks me for TV, I say let's read a story instead and guess what if he does not want to read the story, I read it and then we imagine what it would be like to see some of the things and creatures from the story.

I get new and used books all the time with lots of funny stories, the latest is Duck on a bike. This book spark alot of conversation. Nice bright pictures and a wonderful story.

I hope these ideas help.

0
0